Joseph’s Catholic Church
Of Lino Lakes Organized in 1891
St. Joseph’s Catholic Church of Lino Lakes was incorporated as a parish in 1891. The first church, a wooden structure was blown down during a tornado in the early 1890’s.
The present brick structure which has stood as a landmark since 1896 was built when Father Joseph Goiffon was pastor and served as a mission church of Centerville. When father Goiffon retired father Bonenfus replaced him, serving until 1901. Father Vanden Bosch served from 1901-1903 and was followed by Father Oulsnell, 1903-1904.
Father Marcel Masl came in 1904 and served until 1918. Succeeding him and up until 1939 were father Schaeffer. In 1939 St. Joseph’s became a parish of its own – before then all records were kept at Centerville.
Father Francis Hamming was the first pastor, serving until his death in 1945 when Father James Cecka was appointed.
Father Cecka was assigned to St. Matthew’s in 1961, Father Ed Grzeskowiak serving as temporary administrator until Father Donald Schnitzius was appointed in October of that year.
In June of 1963 a new structure containing a church seating 700, a social hall, parish library and catechetical instruction space was completed. The old church, originally built to accommodate 130 persons, was still used for daily mass and requested weddings and funerals for those who cherish its traditions.
Building continues to meet the needs of a growing congregation and in September 1964 a new school was completed for pupils in first through sixth grades, with four sisters of St. Joseph and two lay teachers.
Known since 1891 as the “Rice Lake” church, St. Joseph’s is located four blocks west of Highway 8 on County Road 12 (202) (Elm Street) and serves East Blaine, Lexington, Circle Pines and Lino Lakes.
Pastor of St. Joseph’s is Father John Wirth who came in June, 1968, and in Aug., Father Arnold Luger joined the church staff as In-Residence Associate. Religious Coordinator is Sister Clarine Paulzine, CSJ, and Parish Worker is Sister Ann Gits, CSJ.
The parish cemetery was expanded in 1966; a new church bell tower was erected in 1973 and new Stations of the Cross were added to the church in 1973. The number of registered families has increased from 500 to 850. Substantial reduction in parish building indebtedness has been made since 1965.
Interdenominational services for the needy and for Senior Citizens are being carried on. In addition to Alcoholics Anonymous and Emotions Anonymous programs which are now functioning within the parish.